Monday 16 June 2008

Wild Weather, Wild Weekend and even Wilder Friends!

Don't know what the heck is going on with the weather this past week, but we have been having Wicked Thunderstorms! Yesterday afternoon we had one heck of a storm that lasted for hours, houses were hit and destroyed, trees branches were down and we even had power outages.

Monday afternoon was no exception, so I'm trying to post this early Tuesday morning...hey, where did my coffee go?

Luckily we had planned for our girls day on Saturday even though the weather forecast was calling for rain. We were so lucky, nary a rain drop fell. We even had hazy sun for most of the afternoon.

Once we unpacked all the food and beverages, raspberry vodka and pineapple juice was poured, we headed for the dock and some rays.





Glenda, Nancy, Barb and Anne


Our little group of friends have been through it all, as life goes. Happiness, sadness, loss of friends, family members and jobs, health issues, elderly parents, but through it all we have had much laughter, actually, laughter until we've cried. We have shared many experiences, travels, training and races but most of all we have made fabulous memories together.

We were missing one of our Wooo Hooo friends, Brenda, due to an emergency appendectomy earlier in the week! We missed you Brenda....get better soon!

Because of our busy schedules with family, jobs and training for events, we try to get together to just chill'x a couple of times a year, this being one of them. It's always pot luck and everyone converges with some sort of cocktail recipe to boot.

Normally the food venue is very organised and this causes us to bring the same sort of salad time after time. However, this time I said, well if we all bring Caesar salad so be it. In my subliminal mind this would make us to come up with something quite different.

It worked!! We had an amazing assortment of different salads and snacks, along with an assortment of meat for the barbecue. (Although we did forget about dessert, sorry Barb).

Some of us, who shall remain nameless were adventurous enough to go swimming! The water was beautiful, cool and refreshing!

After our swim and much laughter we headed back up to the house to try out Anne's new Martini recipe!



Cheers!!!




Nancy, Anne, Glenda, guess who and Jen







It was one of those days were we all just kicked backed, laughed, told stories of past races and shared fears and hopes for up coming events. They were even trying to talk me into an Olympic distance instead of a Try-a-Tri, girls, give it up, I don't have a proper bike for that!!!

The day flew by, what with the stories, a few more and various cocktails, we headed back up to the deck to fire up the barbecue. Chicken marinated in a fantastic sauce, salmon with peppercorns and onion, potatoes and of course a wonderful selection of salads.

We were so lucky with the weather, it was warm and pleasant and we had no bugs! Our meal was out on the deck over looking the water, WOW!!

Our day concluded with a final visit to the dock to watch the sunset, while the fishermen were out in their boats for the last catch of the day.

















End of the day on the dock, we left a space between Glenda and I for Brenda,

Nancy and Anne with Minnie

It was one of those "you had to be there" days, hard to explain but we had a GREAT time.

Thanks everyone, you are truly the best friends I could have ever met.



June Sunset

Life's fun if you don't weaken,

Lily

p.s. My personal favourite cocktail of the day was one I stole from Carly

Recipe for Beer Margaritas (oh, let's think up a name for this)

1 Cup Tequila

4 Beers

1 Can of limeade

lots of ice!!

Mix and serve cold.

thanks Carly!!

19 comments:

Wes said...

That's the kind of get together I like :-) What a beautiful place to gather with friends!

C said...

Glad you had such a fabulous time! I need to organize one of these sometime soon. My friends and I really need it! :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Raspberry Vodka and pineapple juice..............Hmmmmmmmmmm
That would count as a beverage when I need to switch from BEvERages! Looks like a great time.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the weather wild this weekend? Sounds like a hoot.

I am toying with trying a try... hmmmm... not so sure about this swimming thing.

Marcy said...

OMG how much fun does that look!! And ummmm ladies, your glasses are not nearly as full as they should have been :P LMAO! Although I don't doubt for a second that you chicas didn't keep the liquor pouring :P hehe

Unknown said...

Oh man... the picture of the sunset is truly remarkable. I was in a trance just by looking at the picture. I had to snap myself out of it. Boy, if if if I ever drink a cup of beer margaritas, I would probably fall right into the lake.

Vickie said...

That's a great get together! Always good to have friends you can count on through thick and thin.

Marci said...

Looks like you had a blast. Get togethers with friends are so important, and it looks like you have a great group!! Now go for the Olympic distance!

Kim said...

Sounds like a great time! Times with great friends are priceless.

Go for the Olympic distance...:) You can do it!

Your drinks sound yummy. I love beer margaritas! And then pineapple with raspberry vodka...Yummm...

Stay safe with that weather. It's been very nasty here too. Hopefully the spring time storms are over.

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Looks like good itmes were had by all. :)

Anonymous said...

I am Not sure I am in the real woman category yet. Beer margharitas sounds... I dunno Lily! I might have to wait for a "I'm not driving" kind of event before trying that on for size.
As for the rest - girls weekends or days are the best!
Party on Girlfriend!
T

Chris said...

That sounds like a great day with some great friends. That beer margarita recipe doesn't sound so great. I will take your work for it though :)

Groover said...

What a great day you had. You all look so relaxed and happy on the photographs.

My fav cocktail: Caipirinha

Crush diced limes and sugar in a glass, fill the glass up with crushed ice and cachaca, a Brasilian raw sugar clear rum. If you don't have cachaca you can replace it with vodka. The drink is then called caipiroska. :-)

Voila!

Bill Carter said...

Hi Lily

That sounds like a great group of friends and it sounds like you had a great time. I was just up north golfing with my buddys and it was the same kind of thing.

Best of luck with the running and I will have to try making the beer margaritas.

Amy said...

What a blessing to have such good friends and be able to spend a weekend together!

KC Stine said...

I'd probably drink the 4 beers while mixing the remaining ingredients for the margarita!

Looks like a great time at the lake.

Viv said...

Looks like a fantastic time! I love those times keeps us happy. I might have to borrow Carly's recipie. What am I talking about, I barely drink anymore cause of the cals. I am a losah!
We have been getting the heat wicked thunderstorms here.

bluecolnago said...

looks like a rowdy bunch. do you let the police know before you gals get together? :)

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, that looks and sounds like absolute heaven on earth. You are a lucky lady.