Friday 27 June 2008

Reality Bites....

After great angst, I finally had to make myself sit down and re-cap the year so far, concerning my running expenses.

  1. January ~ Phoenix ~ for the weekend!!

  2. February ~ start marathon training : more winter running clothes, ran through three pair of Saucony's, not to mention gels, bars, groceries (yes, I gained weight, oink) and sports drinks.

  3. March ~ Trip to Hamilton for the 30K Around the Bay.

  4. April ~ Chiropractor visits and massage therapy....

  5. May ~ more chiropractor visits and new running clothes for warmer weather. Oh yes, another pair of Saucony's.
Would you care for a little cheese with that whine Lily...????

So, here we are in June and I want to start training for my first Try-a-Tri. Well, this is where reality fits in, dang, I really hate reality....because I bring it upon myself....

  1. July ~ Utica 15K Boilermaker, wooo hooo!

  2. September ~ The first ever, Army Run Half Marathon.
  3. September ~ Toronto Half Marathon, meeting up with Vickie and Tiger!
So, the Tri ~ It's not going to happen this year!

  1. Don't have a proper bike, need to get one,
  2. Get a bathing suit, goggles, cap etc....
  3. Entry fees,
  4. Getting a bike rack to get me there,
  5. More groceries, hahahaha
  6. Kaching....!!!!
However, being the proactive type of person I am....I'm bringing the mountain to Mohamed!!

Yes, we are going to have the Very First Ever Duathlon with the Woooo Hoooo Girl Friends in August at my place with our Mountain Bikes!


We might even throw in a swim which would in fact turn it into a Tri! How great is that?

I feel a party coming on!

Nothing better than the Wooo Hooo's, running, biking, swimming and a Pot Luck Barbecue afterwards!



I love summer!

Life's fun if you don't weaken!

Lily

21 comments:

Wes said...

Yea, triathloning is definitely expensive, but for you first try a tri, any bike, any suit, any pair of goggles will do!!

Viv said...

I agree with Wes, but the entry fees are such a chunk. I do like the idea of making your own tri maybe a quad with a drinking event ;-)

Kim said...

Your idea with your Whooo Hooo Friends sounds so much more fun!

Viv-I think that is a FABULOUS idea-a quadathlon!

Have a great weekend Missy!

Nitmos said...

You ain't kidding about those expenses. My trip to the bike store left my head spinning with the cost of just a "starter" road bike. I need a part time job if I'm going to start tri-ing.

Anonymous said...

Can I can be the judge and perhaps officiate in some capacity, since:
I don't own a bike anymore
I like to swim, but prefer sitting on the beach with a book instead, AND
you know my thoughts on running. BUT I am a damn fine officiator and ,event manager!

Plus I need to try that margarita beer thing!
T

Vickie said...

You don't need a bike rack if your front wheel comes off (quick release). Before I had a car big enough to put a bike in properly, I took off the wheel and crammed it in the back seat. Just be sure to put a towel or tarp on the seats to keep the chain grease off. Check out swimoutlet.com and see if there are any deals there. If I can think of anything else, I'll e-mail you.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Good thinking Mohamed! Only have awards for the top five in each age group! That should give everyone something to shoot for.

C said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't believe I just said that about a triathlon! ;)

E said...

What a great idea! Love it!

Marcy said...

I don't know how anyone affords tris. I'd have turn Mr McG out for tricks if I ever made the big plunge LOL

chia said...

I'm so jealous, I wish I could join you all at Toronto!!! Vickie is seriously the bomb diggity of blog females!

Seriously having buyers remorse as well on all the funds sucked in by sporting. But... I do have Portland and Florida to look forward to this fall! YAAAAAAY :-D

teacherwoman said...

Once you get the few necessities, swimsuit, goggles, and cap, they last for a while and you'll be good!

have you started Assassin's song? I am struggling with it!

Nancy said...

Ooo, I like your version of a home-made duathlon. Sounds like a blast!

triguyjt said...

lily...te idea of a duathlon is cool.... the tri will come in due time.......

and for wordless wednesday...
thats a brown purse in the making

Groover said...

I love summer, too. *BIG SIGH*

You guys rock!

bluecolnago said...

i can see your version of the woohoodu being fun. go for it, but save the drinking for afterward. (or not) ha! have fun! ;)

Marci said...

I hope to be at Scotiabank in some capcity (half or full). Hope to see your there as well!

Unknown said...

Don't have a proper bike, need to get one - for your first tri, consider using what you have and see if you like it before spending the $$

Get a bathing suit, goggles, cap etc.... - I think you could swim in whatever suit you already have. I actually swim in tri shorts and an athletic top that I run in. Definately need goggles & a cap.

Entry fees - caCHING!!

Getting a bike rack to get me there - agree with Vickie, see if it fits with wheel off, that's what I do.

I like your idea of an informal duathlon (maybe tri) with your friends!

Nat said...

Betcha you'llhave the best post event "refreshments" ever! Let me know when and where and if we're not in Newfie I'll be there.

I hear you on the bike situation.

Unknown said...

Isn't the water too COLD to swim in Cananda???

I still haven't tried the margarita beer yet! May plan to this Fourth of July !

Mendy said...

Agree with Wes too! It doesn't matter how much it costs, as long as it works for you. So excited for you, Lily! You're gonna do awesome especially with that great attitude of yours! :-)