So, I go to read some of the comments left on Wordless Wednesday and my good friend Judi had written, "whatssup with this once a week post shit? :0) " LMAO, I can ALWAYS count of Judi to keep me accountable!!!! I *heart* you Judi!
So, what I had almost posted was my adventure through Up State New York a couple of weekends ago which was Hot, HILLY and Humid. Three days of 280K full of fun, humility, learning and friendships.
|Leaving Kingston Habour|
|Wolfe Island Bakery|
|Half way up the hill coming out of Watertown|
|Unsupported, carry your own for 280K|
|A great time was had by all|
- carry snacks, trail mix or something to give you energy, gum works too (luckily I had all of this with me).
- carry powdered Hammer Heed, or something similar, you can generally find water from somewhere, but you can't find PowerAid.
- SPF 30 sunscreen doesn't cut it when you are on the road for hours on end.
- don't try to keep up with the speedy speedster's, cycle your own speed, even if you arrive 15 minutes later than the rest, you still get there! (believe me!).
- know how to change your own tires, carry spares and tools, and if some one offers to help ~ take their help (yes, I got a rear tire flat 50K into the ride).
- it's a tour not a race, stop and take photo's (which I will do more of next time).
- practice, practice, practice riding with weighted panniers before attempting such a journey, thanks goodness I did...
- there isn't a hill I can't walk. The hill coming out of Watertown was 2km long with an 800 foot elevation.
- just like marathon training, you don't know yourself until you have to dig deep!!!
- would I do it again? YOU BET....