Monday 15 February 2010

You may wonder...

what I'm up to lately.

Life has been busy with all sorts of things going on, why should my life be any different from yours ~ right? Right. So far 2010 has seen me through a battery of medical tests and there are a few more to go. Believe me, nothing is serious, I'm just not leaving any orifice untouched so to speak. Aren't I lucky to have health care? Well, I have OHIP, my provincial health care, I don't have any from work.

Today is a bogus Stat Holiday here in Ontario by the name of "Family Day", just another one of those convoluted holidays where some people get it and others don't...go figure, welcome to Canada.  I've spent my day doing actually everything I've wanted to do, don't hate me okay!

This morning I slept in, then played with Lily while enjoying a great breakfast.  Then loaded the xcountry ski's into the car and went up for a ski around the park.  Between not having enough snow and more than likely a very busy weekend in the park, the trails were not great, in fact they were awful, some spots were almost bare and some areas were littered full of pine needles and pine gum, I ended up skiing off the trails out into the unbroken, un-groomed campsite trails and enjoyed myself far better.  My new ski's certainly took a beating.  GAH!

I came back home and tidied the ski's up but it was such a nice day I didn't want to just stay in the house, so I headed out for a walk along the river.

I took a ton of photo's, too many to post on blogger.  Here a just a few....






Anyway, while I was out walking along the frozen river, I met up with a neighbour of mine, you know the type of person you never hardly see but when you do you have just so much fun and so much to talk about?  We had discussed cycling together last year but she had injured her shoulder and I had injured my knee, so neither one of us did cycle together at all!

Annie had been an amazing runner but was injured in a really stupid accident years ago when we all played co-ed touch football.  Yes, the guys had the testosterone flowing that day and sandwich tackled Annie, she almost lost her leg due to the injury, but she has rallied back and is still very active and she is back cycling.  We got chatting about the bike tour we had talked about doing together last year....you know where this is going, don't you?

....it certainly wasn't intentional for me to have 2010 turn into the year of volunteering or really signing up for any specific road race geared towards a special cause, but for some reason, life is steering me towards fundraising for Multiple Sclerosis, don't ask me why but it is.

 The Kilt Run in June is a fund raiser for MS. I've been screaming about the Kilt Run for months now.

Maybe it is subliminal because a former colleague and still a great friend of mine is suffering from the effects of MS.




Well, you guessed it, Annie and I have just signed up for the *MS 150K Bike Tour in August.  Yup, Ottawa to Kemptville and back!!!  Yikes, a 200K in June and now this....I love my life!!

I just get crazier as I get older!

Life's fun if you don't weaken,

Lily

*I'm not one to flog donating money in real life let alone on my blog, but if you would care to donate (I have to raise a minimum of $250.00), you can contact me if you so desire.

21 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Life wouldn't be fun if we didn't throw in a little spice here and there, right?! You go girl!

Unknown said...

I couldn't afford to be me without OHIP! ;-)

Glad you got out and enjoyed the day -- and had a nice breakfast with Lily.

MS-150 Here you come!

skierz said...

It's all good! a few long rides are good for your character, and the cause is a good one! And, random days off are great, aren't they?! Cheers

Anonymous said...

oy! you're out there all the time eh? A 200 MILE ROAD RACE?!?!?! You ARE insane.,.
I'll drive along behind and provide the support ops.

Ter

Lily on the Road said...

Ter, it is NOT a race, it is a bike tour. Big difference...

EndorphinBuzz said...

That is a whole lot of kms! I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Julie said...

I really do like you:) Crazy is good...right!?! Good for you and cheers to 200k bike tours:) You really inspire me!!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! You look so cute in the picture. Way to enjoy your day. I don't get holidays were some people work and others don't what is the point?

Hope all is well with all the testing.

Bert said...

We had a holiday like that one down here too: President's Day. Only the banks, post offices and (broadly speaking) government offices are closed. For the rest of us it is the salt mines as usual. Glad to hear you made the best of your day off.

Anne said...

You are amazing!! I love it, 200Ks in June and 150Ks in August. Impressive...and hey, that kind of crazy is all good :)

Laurel said...

Nothing wrong with a little bit of crazy.

My cousin has MS. Terrible disease and a great cause to raise money for.

Jo Lynn said...

I've always had a bit of crazy in me but I know, for a fact, the older I get the more of it I let show. ;)

Runner Leana said...

I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the weekend! Sorry to hear the skis took a beating though!

And yay for the MS150!! What a great thing!

Amy said...

Laurel, please let me know how I can sponsor you - my GP has had MS for about ten years now (she is only two years older than I am) and I would love to support you.

ItchyBits said...

Good for you! Like your new blog header too. Would love to support your ride. Send me the link if you can do it on-line: nochain@yahoo.com

Marlene said...

Sounds like you made EXCELLENT use of your day off yesterday. I have no problem with bogus holidays. :)

Congrats on signing up for the 150K!

Keith said...

Ottawa to Kemptville will be a very pretty ride. Especially if you like rocks and water. My wife is from that part of Ontario. We like going to Merrickville when we visit.

We get Family day out here too. Nice.

Wes said...

Crazy is as crazy does :-)

Nat said...

Oh girl, we'll see you for the kilt run. (Afraid that'll have to be my donation given the situation.)

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, you sure do seem to know how to enjoy the cold up there. Good for you!

And awesome about your MS 150K bike ride. I wish we had 150K bike events rather than 150mi bike events where I am. That seems like a more reasonable distance to do and 2-day events are hard for many to commit to.

Alexandra said...

I say you are just living life larger as you get older! That is happening to me too and I'm loving it. Great artistic shots! You were asking what kind of camera I have, it's the Olympus Stylus 9000. You have some amazing adventures to look forward to!