Monday 26 July 2010

trying to stay young is sometime frustrating!

What ever you do when you are young comes back to bite you in the .........back.   Back in 2008 I posted about having continuing back issues and up until now, my back has been the least of my issues, between recovering from a torn meniscus, getting over my fear of cycling and just life in general, I've had a slow route to recovery and running, but lately my back is "back at it".  It has been suggested that I swim more...easy to say, but the closest pool is 40km away.

I can't sit, I can't stand, I can't lie down, grrrrrrrr, and just this morning I was sent a picture tag on FB, trust me, it was NOT flattering, I was bent over, and I looked OLD...well, okay I was bent over at the registration desk at the Canada Day Race Day, and truly, I am old but at least I'm trying to stay fit.


What really ticks me off are people who sit on the couch smoking cigarettes or other flammables , drinking beer, eating potato chips and doing nothing in the form of exercise and they look younger and skinnier than me!!!  GAH....

Anyway, who said ageing would be graceful?   Certainly not me, and why should it be?
So this coming weekend I'm going to kick some A$$,  I am cycling a mere 240+Km unsupported cycle tour in and around Up State New York over three days transporting my own ~ well,  everything!!!  Who knew cycling clothes could be so cumbersome and heavy when packed, where on earth can I find miniature dental floss?  And how about packing that extra nutrition bar(s)?  Trust me when I say my sandals take up half a pannier! 




Seriously, It's going to be a blast ....

Life's fun if you don't weaken,


Lily

15 comments:

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that your back has been giving you some grief... I hope the big cycle adventure this weekend doesn't make it worse.

GOOD LUCK, be safe and HAVE FUN!

ajh said...

LOVE the picture! That's how I travel! Too many decisions so bring it all!

Anne said...

You are a beautiful and wonderful woman!! I do hope your back feel better soon...

Miniature dental floss: try samples from the dentist :)

Have a blast...try and pack your bike a little less than this guy!!

Unknown said...

stupid back!! i have intermittent back problems too, it sucks.

go kick some booty on your unsupported bike tour. you go, girlfriend!!

Aka Alice said...

I think those "people who sit on the couch smoking cigarettes or other flammables , drinking beer, eating potato chips and doing nothing in the form of exercise" who look younger and skinnier are just using photoshop :-))

I am so with ya girl. Getting old stinks...but I'd rather be old, looking it, and active than old, looking young, and being a slob, just cuz I'd feel better.

Bummer about the back pain. Back pain is the worst!

MrDaveyGie said...

Good post.

I can so relate

"I am old but at least I'm trying to stay fit."

But we keep going, unlike most, and yes so much comes back to bite us, me too.

We work around injuries, and keep going.
Keep up the good work, and remember


Life's fun if you don't weaken.

Amy said...

So sorry to hear your back is acting up. Hope the ride goes well in spite of it!

C said...

Hope your back feels better soon. Kick some serious ass on that bike ride.

TNTcoach Ken said...

So I should stand while eating my chips and drinking my BEvERages? Remember to move around on that saddle periodically.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

They say "getting old is hell" but I say "embrace getting old and adapt" that's why I don't push anything in training. If it hurts and all, I don't do it. Worked so far....
Cheers and heal up!!

Nat said...

Back pain... ugggh! I purchased a $120 heating pad for the old and decrepit ("moist heat"). It does the whole back and I love it like the second child I never had. Still I'm sorry you it hurts.

Also you look a lot leaner and meaner than I do, and I also think it is unfair that I can't do the smokes, beer and chips diet and be skinny. Stupid metabolism. Stupid bod!

The dentist usually gives me mini-dental floss... But I think I used it all. Maybe pack those hookie things.

Grey Beard said...

Not wanting this to turn into a game of 1-downmanship I'll just say I feel ya, have put friends and family on notice as of last yr they can care about their health or find someone else to worry about their stupid @sses, AND, Gore floss is about the size of a US quarter dollar coin.

Oh, those ThermaRest pads that roll smallish and self-inflate? Priceless!!

Wes said...

focus on living life to the fullest with what you have, eh? besides, you ARE fit :-)

Groover said...

Hi Laurel, I think I told you that before but you are role model of graceful aging to me. You are natural. You do your best. You are a woman! Why does it matter if others look skinnier, better, younger? It may be cliche but what really matters is the relationships that you are able to build, the happy (and sad) moments you share with others, the beautiful heart of yours!
Have fun on that long ride of yours!

Unknown said...

I am trying to improve more than just how I look. I am really on a journey to become healthier. I am regularly consuming Swallow Nest Soup for health and beauty, cause it has long been women's elixir to stay young in the East.

Usually I would choose the sugar free ones (e.g. hongkong-bird-nest.50webs.com/index_e.htm) for better control of energy intake. Cherish health, Enjoy things, Keep learing, Laugh often... there is still a long way for me to stay young~~